Thursday, November 10, 2011

Happy 1st Birthday Sweet Baby Boy!

Oh how bitter sweet this day is to me. I love that you are growing and turning into a such an adorable little person. You have the sweetest little personality, that I just can't get enough of.
At the same time I get so sad and sentimental about you not being a little baby. The little bundle that I held so tightly at the hospital just 365 days ago. How is it that this year has flown by so fast!
Of course all the birthdays are special, but a 1st birthday is by far the one that I have always cried at. So many changes in those 12 months, and I try to remember and treasure every single special moment. My heart feels like it's swelling up with so much love, joy and happiness. I feel so special to be your mommy. How did we get so lucky to have this precious life in our lives?
You are so loved, and not just by your mommy and daddy and sister! I hope we never stop letting you know that!
So we didn't do a whole lot on your actual birthday (sorry about that), but it was still a great time. In the evening we just had cake with family and friends, of course we sang you a bday song and you enjoyed your first cake... Mmmm. You loved playing with it, and you even picked up a piece and put some in your mouth.
The day after we went to Sea World to celebrate and had a wonderful time! You loved watching the dolphins play, the bright fish in the aquarium, and you loved the turtles too. You sat on our lap and enjoyed the shamu show, pointing and talking. Then we let you run wild in the crawlers area. You were timid at first, but then took off crawling and didn't want to come back. We had Sascha redirect you every time you went the wrong way. Then we had dinner at our favorite Greek place and you loved Avgalomeno soup. Like father like son... We got a ton of comments from people sitting near us, how well behaved and adorable our kids are, and we left very satisfied. It was such a fun day for us all. I can't wait for your Big Birthday Party!!! (will have that in a post of it's own once I catch up)
On another note, we had your 1 year check up. You laughed and giggled on the drive there and was your usual smiley self. I felt so bad that you had no idea you were about to get 4 shots. The doctor loved your personality, you were such a happy little guy smiling at everyone. Up until you got your shots. You screamed pretty hard core after each one, brutal! I hated every minute of it. I picked you up right away to try to comfort you and gave you a pacifier, but you let me know you were mad! You would stop crying for a few seconds, and then start again, stop and start again. It was sad... and as soon as you got into the car seat you passed out. Hopefully you have forgotten all about that day!
What was surprising is your weight gain, or lack thereof. You only gained 1 lb in the last 3 months? I almost didn't believe it once I put you on the scale, and that was before I compared your weight with 9 months. In any case, you are a skinny tall little guy! I thought for sure you will go over the 20 lbs by your 1st Bday, but I guess not the case. I also checked and crazy enough Sascha also weighed 19 lbs and 10 oz at her 1st year appointment. Wow, same weight! Very strange, especially since you were always bigger in your previous check ups. I guess that's not the case anymore. I am really hoping you will put on some weight, although I know after a year it's usually not the case because kids get so active by then. You don't seem to have any issues eating. You don't eat a ton, but you try just about everything we put in front of you which is really great. Milk you are not a huge fan of, unless it's in the morning. You are very much interested in all the things we are eating, and now that you are a year I let you have just about everything we are having, and you seem to like it, even though you still only have 2 teeth. Yes, it looks like the top 4 are on the verge of poking through, but it's been that way for weeks now and still nothing. Foodwise, you are a lot more easy going than Sascha was, so I am hoping for a less picky eater.
Stats:
Weight: 19 lbs 10 oz - 9th%
Length: 31 inches - 86th%
Head Circ: 17.75 inches - 16th%
You are not walking yet, but have turned into a very efficient crawler. You pull up on everything and try cruising around tables and chairs. You are such a talker. You point at things and talk and talk like you really mean it. You hand us objects, try to stack rings on top of each other and you throw things off the high chair that you don't want (like milk in a sippy cup). You definitely let us know that you prefer your milk in a bottle. :) So far you have not tried to climb up the stairs but you are getting closer. You love putting everything in your mouth, and we try to put the small toys Sascha likes to play with away, however she often gets them down and sneaky little you pick them up and put them in your mouth. I have had to pry things out of your mouth a few times, which has been a little scary!I wonder what you will do to the Xmas tree once that goes up. I am pretty sure you will keep us on our toes. It's been a fun month with you turning one and we look forward to you starting to walk... but no hurry!
Happy Birthday little guy! We love you so much!

Here are a few pictures from your Birthday:

(this one our friend Vanessa took at the family session we had done a week before your bday) I just love your big beautiful blue eyes and the look you give in this photo
<span class=

I took this picture with my phone of you on the morning of your Birthday and you gave me the sweetest smile
<span class=


Photobucket
Enjoying your cake

Family photo
Sascha's blue mouth from a blue frosting cupcake. :)
Photobucket

Here are a few from our time at Sea World.
Photobucket

No comments: