I wrote this entry over a week ago, but but for some reason wasn't ready to post it just yet...
I am so grateful that every single day I am reminded about how amazing and precious life is. This just isn't something you think about all the time, and I think our kids are definitely a constant reminder of this. We go through our daily lives and emotions, and get busy and wrapped up in an every day chore. On my drive home from work, I often feel tired and sometimes overwhelmed by my "to do" list, but always try to think about the positives and look forward to spending the evening with my kids. I feel grateful to have this feeling every time I get home. I've been thinking about this a lot more this week because of 9/11. How quickly 10 years have passed. How much we realize now, and how much more appreciative we are for the gift of life. We have overcome this event, but it has changed everyone and everything. Everyone remembers this day, what they did, how they found out about the horrible events in NYC. I was 21, going to UCSD... still pretty naive. I didn't have school that day, but I was getting ready to go to work at the bank where I was a teller. I remember turning on the TV while getting ready, and watching in disbelief. I couldn't take my eyes off what I saw, I think I was even late to work and it usually took less than 5 minutes to get there. Once I got to work, my coworkers and I had the TV on in the tiny little break room where we sometimes ate lunch, I remember running into the break room every chance I got along with the other tellers, to keep watching for updates on what's going on. I don't think I understood the full gravity of the situation, but I knew things just wouldn't be the same.
Yes I look at the world differently now after having children. I think about how to raise them, are they safe, how will they survive in this crazy world? Those questions are always in the back of my mind, and I always have hope that things will work out, and that the world will be a better place for our kids.
I don't do many of these type of posts, but I felt like I wanted to remember this day. Write about what I was feeling at the moment. I couldn't begin to imagine what some of the people who have lost loved ones are feeling on this day. It makes me feel sad, angry and helpless when I think about all the lives that were lost that day. Humans are pretty resilient creatures, and are able to overcome a lot of things and still have hope. So on a day like this, I am glad to say that I still have hope.

A view of the Twin Towers Memorial that was opened on the 10th anniversary of 9/11
No comments:
Post a Comment