Sunday, April 3, 2011

Swimming classes at Floaties

Sascha started swim classes over a month ago while I was still on maternity leave, and I have forgotten to write about this. So after your semi-dramatic experience with swim to John classes (aka the Nazi swim school), we decided to try Floaties in Poway. I've heard great things about them from a number of friends. You have already been swimming last year after the intense 2 week swim lessons, but then something happened. We are not really sure what it was, but you were terrified to go into the water. You screamed and begged not to go. I am so glad we started these lessons, because you are so much more comfortable in the water after just a few sessions. Swimming became one of our activities that we did on Tuesdays, after your ballet/tap dance class. Now that I am back at work, we moved it to Tuesday evenings.

I was definitely nervous taking you to your first class. We talked about it in the morning, and you seemed ok with it, but once we got there and got close to the pool you started to cry. Luckily parents don't have to go into the water with their kids unless they are under 1 years of age, so after resisting for a few minutes I just picked you up and handed you over to Mr. Josh - your swim instructor. You actually calmed down pretty quickly, which was good because by then Cameron started fussing and I needed to focus on him. Mr. Josh didn't try to push you too much during the first lesson, so that you could start to feel comfortable with him and build trust. You got rewarded with a lollipop the first time, since I knew it was pretty hard on you because you were still so scared. You are now on your 6th lesson and doing great. The first few you still hesitated about going in the water, but no crying at all, and you seemed to have a really great time once you were in. Mr. Josh puts you at ease and you splash around and play with toys. On your 6th lesson, you were already putting your face in the water and you jumped in from the side of the pool. I think we'll keep going to these until you really start to get the hang of it and become a good swimmer.

Now about Mr. Josh. I think you have a little crush on him. Daddy doesn't like this one bit, in fact his face changes as he hears you talk about Mr. Josh. He even asked me, why didn't I get a female instructor, but in all honesty I didn't even think about it. We just happened to get this one because the time spot worked out for us. Now you get excited to see Mr. Josh for your swim lessons. One evening after seeing some hot air balloons in the sky from our house, you told us that you want to go on one of those with Mr. Josh. Very romantic! haha You'll say to us that you want to go swimming with Mr. Josh but not daddy or mommy. I think that makes us a little sad, but we understand. You have a lot of fun with him in the water and you have grown attached. I am just really glad you are no longer screaming when we go in the pool. This should make our summers going to the pool much more enjoyable.

Sitting patiently and waiting for your turn


Resisting putting your head under the water

Some funny things you crack us up with lately (not related to swimming):

Sascha: "Mommy if you take this (one of her toys), i am going to be really mad"

Sascha: "Daddy, can you turn on (TV) my little pony?"
Daddy: "Sascha there is no my little pony on TV, I already looked"
Sascha: "If you find my little pony, I will be really proud of you"

Sascha while driving with daddy in mommy's car: "Daddy, Mommy's car is smaller than yours"
Daddy: "yes it is"
Sascha: "When it grows up it will be bigger than your car"

Sascha: "Mommy, where you going?"
Me: "I am going to work"
Sascha: "But why?"
Me: "Because I have to"
Sascha not waiting for me to finish my last sentence: "Because you make money?"
Me: "Yes to make money, so I can buy you more pretty dresses like the one you are wearing now"
Sascha: "Oh"

Hilarious! Where do you get this stuff? We've never talked about money with you!?

No comments: