Wednesday, January 7, 2009

13 Months


I am just chillin...

Fun things you do:
There are so many, it's almost impossible to remember and keep track of them but I will still try...
For example - You have an obsession with water bottles. You love them, you love to hold an empty bottle, chew on the cap, and chew the bottom of it. You get super excited when we give it to you. Now I know what to use as a last resort if you start fussing.

You are constantly on your feet, but you're not walking just yet. Daddy and I often sit a few feet from each other and have you walk back and forth between the two of us. I think the most steps I've seen you take is about 5 or 6, plus you balance and stand on your own without holding onto anything for about 20 seconds.

Once we pick you up, you constantly want down, and you want to walk. The funny thing is most of the time you walk by holding on with one hand and often you try to let go and think that you can walk without anything and then fall. Most of the time it's ok at home on the carpet, but you have gotten pretty brave outside on the pavement as well... totally scares me!

You are getting very long, just the other day we noticed when you were siting on a toy that your feet touch the ground. When you first sat on the toy 3 months ago, your feet weren't even close to the ground. I think you're going to be pretty tall... I think it's time to start using that growth chart we got for your room.

You've started clapping, yay! we've been working on that one for a while! You clap funny, one hand open and the other one closed almost in a fist... :)

You talk all the time, and sometimes the words you say sound like actual words, but I think it's mostly on accident. The ones that are more apparent are ball, bottle, and you say something close to "sharik" which means balloon in russian. The coolest thing lately is I am realizing that you now understand a lot of things we say and you interact so much. We say dancing and you start dancing. We say clap and you start clapping. You're also waving to us all the time, when we leave or just when you see us in the distance. We say where is "sharik" and you look for the balloon. We ask where is the ball and you point in the direction of the ball. Sometimes you give us kisses when we ask for kisses and you do "coco butt" with your head or "baran baran butz" as we say it in Russian.

I am working on having you show us where your nose, eyes, and ears are. You actually pointed at the right parts (on me) today when I asked you to show them. And you understand some of these in Russian too, which is pretty cool! I am having such a hard time making myself speak to you in Russian. It's difficult to switch between the two, and the English words come to me so much faster than the Russian words do, but I should just make it second nature to try and not speak too much English with you especially when we are on our own. At least you're getting about 8 hours of only Russian when the nanny is with you during the day.

Eating is still a challenge, we're trying to teach you not to throw pieces of food from your high chair on the ground, plus sometimes you just hate going into the high chair. You used to be such a good little eater, but now you close your mouth and unless it's something you recognize and love, you will not open it no matter what. Sometimes you just start crying. It's been a bit frustrating because some of the time it seems like all that you'll eat is cheese, cereal - cheerios or kix, and bread. I am hoping that you grow out of it.

Also we still use a bottle. You refuse to have milk in anything other than a bottle. Apparently you think sippy cups are only for water. I've even tried to give you some diluted juice in a sippy cup and you're just not interested. Not only can you tell by the taste, but you also notice the color and look at it funny when it's anything other than clear water. Well at least you are finally holding your bottle... not all the time. Sometimes to get you to finish it I have to hold it, but when you really want it, you will definitely try to hold it yourself.

We're still working on signing, and it seems like you really enjoy the signing time dvd that we play, and a few times it seemed like you signed, like the sign for milk and a sign for drink, but it's not something you do all the time. I think we'll keep trying and we'll see if it sticks after a few more months.

Morning time is still really sweet and our favorite. Usually you'll wake up sometime between 7:00 - 7:30 a.m. and start talking. Rarely do you wake up crying. So then either I or daddy go downstairs to warm up a bottle of milk, then I walk in the room and you're super excited to see me, sometimes you almost jump and scream. We get you out of your sleeper blanket, change your diaper and bring you into our bed to give you milk. You are super relaxed and cuddly while you finish your milk, and then we usually turn on Wilbur, Gaba Gaba, Baby Einstein or Signing time DVD and you hang out in our bed for another 20 - 30 minutes before we take you downstairs to play. By then the house is a bit warmer since it gets to about 63 degrees inside at night. I wonder if you'll always want to wake up and come hang out in our bed when it's morning.

You are so adorable and we often catch ourselves just staring at you and the little cute things that you do. I remember doing that all the time when you were just a tiny baby and now I know it's not really something that will wear off, I will always look at you and notice the sweet little tings you do. We love you munchkin!

No comments: