Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Sascha's First Dance Recital

We've been looking forward to this for a few weeks now, and we got to finally witness what it would be like to see our child perform. Whatever stage it may be, dancing, playing the an instrument, or doing a sport. We got to experience what it's like to watch our little person do an activity they enjoy doing and get praise for it. It was exciting, nerve recking, and heartwarming all at the same time. We loved it!

Lets back up a few weeks...

In dance class you have been practicing a choreographed dance routine by Miss Jackie to a song by Lee Ann Womack "I hope we dance". I am not going to lie it's pretty cute. Of course you don't do all the moves, and very often half way into the routine you just stop, and get distracted by other dancers, BUT does it really matter? You're adorable!

A few weeks ago we picked up your costume and for some reason you wanted nothing to do with it. A week later you let me put it on you and you seemed to like prancing around like a little ballerina, complaining about the itchy arm bands :)

Luckily we also had a dress rehearsal a few days before the recital where you were able to see the big stage and preform your dance there in full costume. The only problem was, you refused to put it on. Hmm... we left the house in normal clothes and I brought it with me to the theater. Once we got there you were mezmerized by all the girls dancing and when I mentioned that you will go up on the stage and dance too you looked scared and immediately declared "NO". Oh boy!

I let you sit and watch a few performances since we got there early, I also pointed out that all your dancer friends are already wearing their dresses, but stubbornly you refused. I took you outside the theater and tried to put it on, that's where you started to cry. I knew I couldn't force you to wear it. People came by and made comments about how pretty your outfit was, but nothing really helped. A few minutes before you were due on stage I found Miss Jackie and told her our dilema and thank goodness she was willing and free to help. She talked to you so sweetly and you listened like a good girl and finally allowed us to put your costume on. Yay! I couldn't even fix your hair since you got wisked away as soon as your ballet shoes were on. I did your hair at home before we left, but it was totally messy by the time we got to the theater, not to mention it's almost impossible to keep it neat without fly aways. You looked a bit scared going up on stage, and you had your finger in your mouth, which you always do when you get nervous or shy, but you seemed to have no problems once you were up there.

You got to perform the dance on stage twice. And I attempted to get video and photo both since it wouldn't be allowed during the real performance. Needless to say both were pretty poor quality. Miss Jackie was on the side doing the moves so some of the girls were turned in that direction because they would watch and follow her which was pretty funny. It was so fun to see you on stage. You did a great job and I was a proud mama, even with total anxiety after the whole costume ordeal that you put me through earlier. You were finished and I offered for you to take the costume off and of course you didn't want to and you said you want to go dance again. Haha, of course you do! I let you watch a few more before we had to go.


On the day of we had you watch a video that daddy made of your class practicing the dance and you actually practiced a few times which was cute. This time around I dressed you up at home, so you were pretty much ready to go even though your actual performance was in the second half after the intermission. You sat on daddy's lap and grandpa's lap the whole time watching all the dancers. You seemed to really enjoy it. When I asked if you were ready to go up on stage, you looked at me and said "NO" in a whiny little voice. During the intermission, we walked all the way around to where the dancers checked in, I stayed back stage with you for about 15 minutes. You guys had coloring books, and snacks and you seemed to be doing just fine, so I went back to watch the rest of the dances and wait anxiously to see you on stage. There were 5 other dancers with you and all of you got walked out on stage to perform. You did great! I thought I would get emotional like Baba did and Grandpa, but I really didn't. I had this nervous energy the whole time as if it was me there on stage. It was a great recital. The little dancers were super cute, and the older ones I really enjoyed as well. So many people came to watch you. Baba, Deda, Inna, Grisha, Aaron, Grandma Laurie, Grandpa and even aunt Maria and uncle Mike from Florida (they were in town for Zac's high school graduation). Of course Cameron came too. Thanks to grandma Laurie for hanging out with him in the back. He was a total trooper as always. Laurie said that he got scared once because it got loud, but then he really enjoyed watching as well and towards the end fell asleep in her arms. Everyone really enjoyed all of the performances. It was a special evening, we took pictures afterwards with your dancer friends and miss Jackie and then with family. I hope your love for dance keeps growing and that this will be one of many recitals that we get to enjoy watching you dance in.

Here are some of my favorite pictures! Bottom right picture cracks me up. Your arms are going one way and Sophia's arms next to you are going the opposite way.

May be I'll post the Video a bit later... once I get it uploaded :)


Photobucket
At the Rehearsal


Photobucket
On the day of the recital

No comments: