As I mentioned in the previous post, you've been attempting to climb out of the crib. Last night you succeeded. It happened right in front of me, I just couldn't believe it. You swung you leg over, pushed up with your arms and out you went, I just couldn't get there in time to catch you. Luckily, you didn't hurt yourself. We've just moved your little area rug and you landed right on it, with your back and butt first and then your head hit the side of the crib but it was already after you were on the ground so no damage caused. You definitely got scared and started to cry a little bit, but it wasn't "I got hurt" kind of a cry, you were just spooked.
So it's time to say goodbye to your crib, and hello to your bed. I must say I am a little bit sad to let the crib go... but I guess the baby stage is officially over and now it's time to embrace yet another stage of you growing up. I had a hard time deciding if we should get a twin bed for you or not, especially since we have a queen bed in the guest room that's not being used, but would be way too huge for you for now, so we decided to have a temporary solution with this very inexpensive toddler bed we got on craiglist, until I figure out the bed, room, furniture situation.
We took apart the crib and put the bed in its place and it's so so cute! You saw us putting everything in place and once we were done you seemed happy and you even went down and laid on it for a few seconds, but I had no idea what to anticipate for our first night with you in your new "big little girl bed".
Here is the scoop on the first night. We did the usual bedtime routine, read a few stories, brushed your teeth, changed into PJs and I laid you down, you immediately started to get up. I put you back down, attempted to sing "twinkle twinkle little star" and back on the bed you went. Once again you got up. After 5 or so times I left the room, and as soon as you came out, I would put you back into bed without saying anything. Then after feeling bad that you seemed to be having a hard time getting used to your bed, I thought may be I'll just stay in the room with you and wait till you fall asleep, that didn't work, you still got up, wanted to climb with me on the chair, then you wouldn't stay put there either. Every time you saw me coming in, you'd turn around and start running for the bed, you started laughing and were thinking this is a game that we play, I got tired after 10 times of going back and forth, and called daddy. He did the same thing 40 times! Then he needed a break, it was my turn once again, and I probably lasted another 20 times of you coming out and putting you back in bed. I even tried holding the door shut, which sounds terrible and I really didn't think I would have to do that, but I was running out of ideas and got frustrated. It didn't work, you started getting into the baskets with toys. Daddy came back to the rescue once again and we went back and forth 30 more times. Towards the end you were getting pretty mad and screamed and cried, but finally you got exhausted, and stayed in bed. I thought there would be no end to it. Over 100 times!!! 100 times it took to make you stay in bed. We exhausted ourselves! Our lower backs ached but we were happy that you were finally asleep. You didn't get up on your own this morning, but woke up pretty cranky and crying a little. I'll am hoping that the 2nd night will go better than the first, but we'll see.
Last night in the crib
Trying out your new bed on the first night... such a big girl already!
3 comments:
Anna, what kind of crib did you have before? We just went shopping (more like looking/testing) for a crib and find that there's just a few general options. Did you go with a sliding side, or fixed? And I guess you didn't go with a convertible one since you had to get a new one. What are your thoughts on the topic?
Thanks,
-V
What a lovely bed :) Sascha is all grown up.
I love her new big girl bed, she looks so happy :)
Post a Comment