Monday, September 14, 2009

Another UTI

We've done so well since last November and you haven't had any UTI infections being on the antibiotic, but unfortunately we didn't make it through a whole year without one. You got sick last week with a fever, no other symptoms... how familiar. I decided with your previous history of UTIs and the reflux I don't want to wait till day 3 so on the 2nd day we went to the doctor. Daddy took you in a few hours before our actual appointment to try and get a urine sample. You hate going to the doctors, you don't like anything that they do, even measure your temperature. After a few hours, we were finally able to collect a sample and it tested negative for a UTI, I was a bit relieved and thinking it's just something viral. But of course the sample had to get sent to the lab for a culture, so I knew we weren't completely in the clear. I no longer wait for the doctor to call, I called them the next day to see if there were any results and after checking we were told that the results hadn't come back and we wouldn't know till the following Monday since this was a Friday. Once again I convinced my self that this must be something Viral, the doctor told me to look for a rash after the fever goes away, that you may have Roseolla. Well Saturday came and in the morning I noticed that your upper lip looked a bit bluish, which was a bit of a concern. It was something that I remember my mom telling me that you had right before your febrile seizure last year. We were still giving you Motrin and Tylenol. When you woke up from your nap, you were burning up, when placed you on the changing table I noticed you started shivering and once again your lips looked bluish. Needless to say when I saw that I became very worried. This all was too similar to what had happened last October and I wasn't even there for it. I measured a 102 fever, I saw it quickly going up, and next time I measured it was 103, we gave you Motrin right away. Of course I got really scared and tried to reach the doctors office to talk to the on call doctor. She called us in the next hour and said she will check on the lab. Sure enough we got another call from her later that evening confirming that the test came back positive for UTI and we need to bump up the antiobiotic doses. Aaah! So frustrating!

So your yearly check up tests are in a couple of weeks... I am definitely dreading that day! The ultrasound is not too bad, I think we can distract you with that one, but the VCUG is so hard to watch, I am going to feel horrible for having you go through it especially since the last UTI pretty much lets me know that you have not grown out of your reflux yet (I still hope though!), unfortunately there is no other choice but to still do the tests and then your visit to the pediatric urologist will follow up so I will post an update on that soon.
I am happy to say that you are back to your old self, seems like the antibiotics worked in within 24 hrs once we upped the dose!


Here is a cute little picture of you when you started to feel better and wanted to play. You actually sat down the penguin in the chair then lined up your duckies on the table and sat down yourself. I guess you are already starting some pretend play. So adorable!

No comments: