Sunday, September 16, 2012

Family Vacation to Florida

We have been looking forward to this trip for a while, as most of our trips. This one was the longest yet, 9 nights away to visit Jeromey's side of the family. Sascha had a week off school so we were very excited to all get to spend time together and away from home. This was the kids first trip that required us to fly and Sascha was beyond excited. Ever since we booked the tickets in June, she's known that she will get to be on an airplane and fly to Florida to see aunt Sarah. I knew she would do fine on the plane, Cameron on the other hand I worried about. We didn't have to buy him a ticket, so I knew he'd be sitting on our lap the whole time, and somehow we'd have to entertain him for 3 and half hours and then again for another hour and half, not to mention the layover. We totally survived. It wasn't super easy or anything, but totally doable. Cameron   didn't want to get in the stroller as we were getting ready to board the plane, and Sascha gave him her little bear and he instantly calmed down, then when it was time to get out of the stroller and walk into the plane, he freaked out too. So I had to pick him up, and carry him in. Yes I totally felt like "that" family getting on the plane with a crying baby, having everyone stare at me. Luckily once we sat down and got settled into our seats, I quickly searched for the pacifier (no we haven't weaned him yet! I purposely decided to wait till after the trip... and I am really glad that I did!) he calmed down instantly and never really cried again. We were pretty well prepared with snacks and goodie bags for each one and it kept them busy just about the whole time.

We landed safely in Panama City where Sarah met us at the airport with a "Lewis Family Sign" and we were on our way to aunt Maria & uncle Mike's house in Niceville a little more than an hour away. They had just finished moving into their new big house and were gracious enough to let us stay with them. It was kind of a home away from home because of how comfortable they made our stay. We had a home cooked  dinner 4 or 5 nights in a row. Sascha especially loved how everyone sat together at the table. I didn't realize it until she asked one of the nights when we didn't all eat dinner together, why we're not all sitting at the table. It's amazing how kids pick up on these great little things. We hardly get a chance to all eat together every night, so I think this was definitely a special treat for them. The kids did great sleeping in a new place. The time change couldn't have been better, and allowed us to stay out till 10pm (8pm our time). Cameron even took great naps in the pack n' play if we happened to get back in time. So we really didn't have to adjust much to the time change there or when we got back.

The nine days we spent away went by too fast which is a great sign of having so much fun. We got to visit with family including Jeromey's other cousins Josh and Michael John, grandma Dottie. We did come a few days right before hurricane Isaac - yes just our luck to come during a hurricane. By the time it got to where we were, it was reduced to a Tropical Storm, so it really wasn't too big a of deal. The only trouble was things were closed, so for about 2 days we couldn't do too much stuff around the city. We made the best of it, hanging out with family at home, and still doing things outside like setting up 4 slip'n'slides together, or putting rain boots on the kids and letting them run around the deck outside.

Sarah was with us the whole time, taking us all over Destin (pretty much our personal tour guide and driver) : we visited the beach, the Gulfarium, and the parks. We went on a few nature walks which the kids especially loved and for a swim at Josh's in-laws house while briefly visiting with Josh's wife Sally. Over the weekend we got to do all sorts of fun activities like zip-lining and paddle boarding. We got to go to Tallahassee to where Sarah lives and experience an FSU football game. Our last day was actual Labor Day, which also happened to fall on our 7 year anniversary. The whole family went to the beach where we rented a few paddle boards and everyone really enjoyed paddle boarding (even the kids tried it out!), It was followed by a delicious lunch with everyone, after which Jeromey whisked me away for a couples massage and a super romantic dinner at the Beachwalk cafe in Destin. It was really one of the nicest, most romantic dinner places we've been to. I was once again surprised. I should already know that something is coming, but somehow every year he still manages to surprise me. So the family took the kids home, while we had a nice afternoon and evening to ourselves to celebrate the 7 happy years we've been married. I felt like one lucky girl!

Before we knew it we had to pack up and get ready to head back to San Diego. The morning we left we drove through some crazy rain... pretty common in Florida. I don't think I've ever driven through a downpour like that. Pretty scary! Roads were getting flooded, and  The weather itself was pretty darn hot, and sticky! I don't think the weather agreed with me, especially on the zip-lines! I was very happy to get back to San Diego weather, although for some odd reason we had a few very humid days shortly after we came home. Strange how it followed us home.

It's always sad to leave, and we all had such a wonderful time together making many memories that we will surely remember for years to come.

We had a ton of awesome pictures, and I hope to make a Vacation book of them soon, but here are a few favorites.


Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

No comments: